Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The University of Bath has a site licence to EndNote, which is held by DD&T. The licence permits University of Bath staff and students to download the EndNote software to their home PC or Mac.
To download the software go to Secure Downloads:
Login - click Available downloads - then Software Application - EndNote
You will see 4 files for downloading:
- installing endnote for Windows.zip gives the instructions for downloading to a PC
- EndNoteX9VolumeInstall.zip is the program to download to a PC
- installing Endnote for Mac.zip gives the instructions for downloading to a Mac
- EndNoteX9SiteInstaller.dmg is the program to download to a Mac
Instructions for downloading to PC
First close any Microsoft Office applications that you have open.
Click on EndNoteX9VolumeInstall.zip and download it.
Open the downloaded file to see something like this:
DO NOT double-click the folder to start the installation: click “Extract” in the menu bar at the top of the window, then click “Extract all” and then “Extract”.
If you do not extract the file properly, you will be asked for the site administration code.
Install the EndNote software - PC
- In the window that appears showing the extracted folder, open the “EndNote X9 (Volume Install)” folder and double click on ENX9Inst.msi
- Click Next
- Click Accept
- Click Next
- Read and click to confirm if you accept the license agreement
- Click Next (4 times)
- If you are prompted to close any open office applications at this stage, do so and click Retry, otherwise, click Next
- If you are prompted to enter your password, or allow the application to make changes, do so when asked
- The installation will normally take around 5 minutes to complete on most computers
- Click Finish
- EndNote will now appear in your Start Menu and is ready to use. The EndNote X9 toolbar should have been installed in Microsoft word.
Adding Harvard(Bath) style
Your EndNote program will contain many pre-installed referencing styles, but it will not include Harvard (Bath) style, which has been created by the University of Bath.
- Download the Harvard(Bath) style from http://www.bath.ac.uk/library/gen/referencing/Harvard_(Bath).ens
- Double-click the style file - It should open in EndNote
- On the open style, select the “File” menu and select “Save As” - Enter the name as you would like the style to be displayed within EndNote, e.g. "Harvard(Bath)"
- Select the “File” menu and then select “Close Style”
Setting up a new EndNote Library
If you are brand-new to using EndNote, the next step will be to create a Library.
Click File – New and choose where you want your library to be located.
You can change the name of the library but make sure you keep the default file type .enl
Linking to an existing EndNoteX9 Library
You can either:
- Create a new library as above, and import your existing library into it. This means you will have TWO libraries.
- Point your home version of Endnote software at your existing library. If your existing library is on the University H or X Drive this has the added benefit of ensuring it is safe and backed up. If your reference library is stored on your H Drive or the University’s X Drive, you will need to connect to those drives to locate and access your library. In EndNote X9, go to File - Open Library and browse for your library. If you’re not sure where on the drive your library is located, search for *.enl
Transferring references from EndNote Online to EndNoteX9
In EndNote X9 go to Tools – Sync. Enter your Endnote online login details and follow the instructions. If you have a large number of references it could take several minutes to transfer them.