Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Click on a question below to reveal the answer:
You can share your EndNote library, including pdfs and annotations, with other EndNote users. Everyone you share the library with can add to, annotate and use the library at the same time, including adding attachments and deleting references.
- From the File menu in EndNote select Share.
- Log into your EndNote online account.
- Type the email address/es for people you wish to share the library with.
- Choose whether you wish to give them read-only or read-write access and click Invite.
- Close the dialog box.
- The people you have specified receive an email inviting them to share the library. They must accept in this email message to start sharing the library.
- You can sync an EndNote library saved in EndNote Desktop with an EndNote Online library using the Sync Configuration option. The initial sync can take several hours, so make sure you allow plenty of time for this. You can only sync one Desktop library with one online library.
- Click on the Update Citations and References button in your EndNote toolbar in Word. Your citations should then hopefully appear correctly in your chosen style. Alternatively, click the Bibliography options "arrow" button which will open up a dialog box of options.
- Select the 'Instant formatting' tab and make sure the “Instant formatting is currently on”.
- Open the EndNote program and select Output Styles from the Tools menu.
- Click the option to edit the Output Style you are using.
- Under Citations select Author Name.
- Select from the options for author names and initials.
- Resave the Output Style
- Leave the EndNote program open and open Word.
- On the EndNote tab in Word select Update Citations and Bibliography.