Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Click on a question below to reveal the answer:
1. Go to the 'My References' screen in EndNote Online. To create a 'new group', tick/select the references you wish to add then choose 'new group'.
2. Then a pop-up box will appear for you to enter the name of the group.
3. The group will now appear on the left-hand side of the library and you can add more references to the group at any time.
You can also use the Quick Search tool to search for references using keywords.
- Create a group in EndNote Online and use EndNote Online's 'Manage My Groups' option to share these references. EndNote Online will then allow all these people to edit the same library.
- There is no method of linking an EndNote library saved in EndNote Desktop with an EndNote Online library. If you choose to use both these must be maintained as two separate unrelated databases. However, you can easily transfer references between an EndNote Desktop and EndNote Online Library using the EndNote integrated library options.
- Click on the Update Citations and References button in your EndNote toolbar in Word. Your citations should then hopefully appear correctly in your chosen style. Alternatively, click the Bibliography options "arrow" button which will open up a dialog box of options.
- Select the 'Instant formatting' tab and make sure the “Instant formatting is currently on”.
- Check that you are able to log into EndNote Online to verify that your username and password are working. Then try to insert references in your Word document using the EndNote Online CWYW tool. If the error message repeats, verify the subscription details set in the CWYW Preferences tab:
- Click on the EndNote tab in Word.
- Click on Preferences.
- Click on the Applications tab.
- Ensure that the URL field reads: http://www.myendnoteweb.com:80 - also delete the current email address and password fields and re-type login credentials. Do not copy/paste email ID and password.
- If the issue persists: open a new blank Word document and try to use EndNote Online CWYW plug-in. If you get the same error and this only happens in one document, then the document may have damaged EndNote field codes. Please make a backup copy of the Word document. Then follow the instructions for cleaning up the field codes. After step 4 of these instructions: if any references did not un-format, highlight them and try again. If this still does not work, it is likely that reference has damaged field codes that cannot be recovered. This citation will need to be re-entered after you follow the rest of these steps.
- If the issue persists with all documents: perhaps you kept Internet Explorer open while you installed the EndNote Online plug-in. If so:
- Uninstall the plug-in and reboot the computer.
- Make sure that Internet Explorer is not open. You can verify this via the Windows Task Manager.
- Re-install the plug-in instructions.
- Connect to https://wok.mimas.ac.uk/
- Select the following option: 'Problems with access? Try this Alternative Link'.
- Select the blue link for 'Institutional users (Shibboleth)'.
- Choose UK Federation from the drop-down menu. Search for and select University of Bath. Enter your University username and password when prompted. If this does not work, please clear cache and cookies from your web browser.
- Further information available in the Clarivate's FAQs.
- Then close and re-open the web browser and repeat the above steps. For recommended browsers and specifications please refer to: http://wokinfo.com/media/pdf/wos_515_releasenote.pdf
Subject-specific guides to using EndNote Online
General guides to using EndNote Online